HE Dr Thani bin Ahmed Al Zeyoudi
MOE Popular Search Keywords
null HE Dr Thani bin Ahmed Al Zeyoudi
HE Dr Thani bin Ahmed Al Zeyoudi
Minister of State for Foreign Trade
HE Dr Thani bin Ahmed Al Zeyoudi was appointed the UAE Minister of State for Foreign Trade, following the new UAE Government structure in July 2020, and has been assigned a file to attract the best talents and competencies to serve the strategic direction of the UAE. HE also oversees the development of non-oil foreign trade sectors and the expansion of global partnerships, in addition to enhancing the investment climate in the country, in order to cement its position as a major business destination at the regional and global levels.
He had held the position of Minister of Climate Change and Environment previously, during which he supervised the implementation of the UAE's strategies locally, advancing environment and climate actions. He also led the country’s efforts in limiting and adapting to the repercussions of climate change at the global level, while also focussing on the preservation of the UAE’s biodiversity through the development and implementation of a set of effective policies and measures.
Prior to assuming his ministerial position, HE Al Zeyoudi served as the permanent representative of the UAE to the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), and Director of the Department of Energy Affairs and Climate Change at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation.
He began his career as a petroleum engineer at the Abu Dhabi Marine Area Operating Company (ADMA-OPCO) before moving to the Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company (Masdar), where he worked on the development of renewable energy technologies and solutions. He has played a major role in the UAE’s successful diplomatic campaign in 2009 to host the headquarters of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) in the capital, Abu Dhabi.
HE Dr Thani bin Ahmed Al-Zeyoudi holds a Bachelor's degree in Petroleum Engineering from the University of Tulsa; a Master's degree in Business Administration from the New York Institute of Technology (NYIT); a Master's degree in Project Management from the British University in Dubai; and a PhD in Strategy, Program and Project Management from SKEMA Business School in France.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Set the Ministry’s general policy and strategic direction concerning international trade.
- Develop, approve and follow up on the completion of the Ministry’s strategic plan and executive programs.
- Supervise the general workflow in the international trade affairs sector, approving regulatory decisions in accordance with the powers delegated to the Minister, and following up on the completion of reports.
- Prepare and implement the budget according to the set provisions and allocations.
- Propose the necessary laws, decrees, bylaws and regulations related to the international trade affairs sector and presenting them to the Minister of Economy for necessary actions.
- Represent the Ministry before the relevant authorities inside and outside the state, in coordination with the concerned authorities and in accordance with the powers vested in him.
- Sign agreements between the Ministry and other bodies, in accordance with the powers vested in him.
- Develop the strategic direction and general national policy to attract high-quality talents and the best minds to the state, fast-track the country’s shift to a knowledge-based economy, enhance science and technology capabilities, and follow-up on their implementation in coordination with concerned federal and local authorities.
- Identify priority target groups of people with the right talents and competencies, proposing and following-up on the impact of relevant policies and initiatives, and exchanging knowledge with national and global talents in coordination with concerned authorities.
- Coordinate with concerned authorities to promote the UAE as a regional and global destination for the brightest talents and the best minds.
- Establish a database of talents in coordination with the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation and other concerned parties.
- Perform any other tasks that are assigned to the Minister by virtue of laws, regulations, and decisions issued by the Cabinet, or assigned to him by the Minister of Economy.